Brookwood School was founded in 1956 as a non-denominational, coeducational, non-profit day school. In the early days, registration took place under a maple tree where Founding Headmaster Pip Cutler sat at a folding table with pipe in mouth and pen in hand while parents stood in line to give him names of their children.
From its initial group of 65 children, the school has grown to its present size of approximately 400 students of diverse backgrounds enrolled in Pre-Kindergarten through the eighth grade.
Though Headmaster Cutler (pictured above with his wife, Rosie) retired in 1973, the values he stood for remain. John Ogden served as Headmaster until 1979, A. Marshall Lawton from 1980 through 1992, and John Peterman served from 1992 - 2015. Laura Caron became Brookwood's fifth Head of School in July 2015.