Social Studies Curriculum Goals:
In general, the Social Studies Department seeks to have 4th grade Brookwood students:
- Define and explore the concept of culture by investigating diverse forms of government, ancient and modern world civilizations, geography, and religion
- Develop a sense of self and appreciate how one fits into various communities
- Seek evidence, appreciate perspective and bias, understand cause and effect, and search for connections
- Organize information through research, note taking, and declarative writing
- Students will work on developing a working understanding of ancient civilizations across various contents.
- Students will perform Greek plays, build Mesopotamiam bricks, design topographic maps of the Nile River, and experience other activities that bring ancient cultures to life.
- Students will embark on the research process, including taking notes from a wide variety of sources, discerning pertinent versus nonessential information, presenting information through formal written pieces and performed pieces, and appreciating bias and perspective.