Half-Day Workshops and Parent/Teacher Conference Coverage
With parent/teacher conferences just around the corner on October 24 and 25, Brookwood is happy to help with child coverage on these days. On October 24, we will offer special half-day (Noon-3:00 p.m.) workshops for children in grades PreK-7 who would like to stay and learn more about a variety of topics. Visit our Half-Day Workshops form for workshop descriptions, a detailed schedule of the afternoon's events, and a registration form (that must be turned in by no later than Friday, October 20th at 5:00 p.m.). Regular after-school care is available for all students who attend these workshops after 3:00 p.m. on October 24.
For families who would just like coverage during their actual conference time(s) on both October 24 and 25, there will be drop-in coverage in the library at no additional charge. Brookwood students will be offered an opportunity to read, build or draw under the supervision of an adult while parents meet with their teacher(s). There is no sign-up necessary for this service -- just show up and drop-in.
Please feel free to contact Justin Zappia with any questions about either of the above extra services.
A message from the Director of Auxiliary Programs
I am thrilled to be entering my third year at Brookwood! Katie Ober '08 continues to bring great enthusiasm and experience to her position as Auxiliary Programs Assistant. The programs we offer for the 2017-18 year will continue to build on the popularity that was evident during last year's after-school classes and throughout our Summer@Brookwood camp program. Please be sure to sign your child up for the courses and camps that you know are of interest to them so they don't miss out on the opportunity--many sessions fill up fast! Please note that the Reports Server is where you sign-up for after-school enrichment classes, as well as the PreK & K Program, REACH and Homework Club. I'm happy to answer any questions about our programs or the registration process. You can contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 978-526-4500 x6244.
Learn More About Our Programs
We work to meet the needs of families by providing extensive before- and after-school programs. Early Birds offers supervised coverage for students of all ages beginning at 7:15 a.m. every morning. Our after-school care runs until 6:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 5:00 p.m. Friday, and includes:
- PreK & K After-School offers a balance of active and quiet time, and indoor and outdoor activities for PreK and Kindergarten students. The program, held in our PreK and Kindergeraten Program Space in Lower School, includes child-initiated and teacher-led activities such as block play, cooking, dance, dress-up, easel painting, outdoor play, story time and more.
- Recreation, Enrichment & Arts for Children (REACH) is our daily after-school program in the Lower School Town Square for students in Grades 1-3. Starting at 3:00 p.m., REACH begins with meeting time, greetings and/or activities based on the Responsive Classroom model. Students will always be provided with a snack followed by age-appropriate, structured activities including art projects, indoor/outdoor physical activity, reading, games and more.
- Homework Club provides students in Grades 4-8 with supervised study time from 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. in the library. Students remaining after 5:00 p.m. will be given the freedom to choose to participate in supervised recreational indoor or outdoor activities.
- After-School Enrichment Classes are offered in the fall, winter and spring. Sessions are 9-12 weeks long and meet one hour per week. Classes range in topic from the arts to athletics, providing students with an opportunity to explore various areas of interest. Past classes offered have included Yoga Karma Kids, Chess, Mural Painting, Zumbatomic, Flag Football, Legos in Action, Claymation, Martial Arts, Boston Children's Theater, Woodworking, Wizards, Fairies and Dragons, Comic Book Writing, Bird's Word School Newspaper, and Multisport. Some classes are open to students who attend schools other than Brookwood. View our current Fall 2017 class descriptions.
- Music Lessons & Ensembles are offered through a vibrant after-school private music lesson program in which over one-third of our current student body participates. Students take lessons for voice, piano, strings, band instruments, guitar and drums. Many musical ensembles are formed each year including Concert Bands, a Jazz band, and Middle and Upper School Combos. Students interested in playing in an ensemble should contact Debbie Gantt over the summer or at the beginning of the school year. If a student expresses interest during the school year, Mrs. Gantt will try to recruit other interested students and start a new combo.
After-School Pick-Up Locations
Students may be picked up before 4:00 p.m. at either Middle or Upper school dismissal. After 4:00 p.m., pick-up for after-school care is in the following locations:
- PreK & K: Use the Lower School entrance to access the PreK and Kindergeraten Program Space.
- REACH: Use the Lower School entrance to access the Town Square from 4:00 - 4:45 p.m., and then the PreK and Kindergarten Program Space from 5:15 - 6:00 p.m.
- Homework Club: Use the front courtyard entrance to access the library from 4:00 - 5:15 p.m., and then use the Lower School entrance to access the Town Square from 5:15 - 6:00 p.m.
For more information about before-school programs, please contact your child's Division Head. For questions regarding after-school programs, please contact Justin Zappia by email at email@example.com or by phone 978-526-4500 x6244.